Old 22-05-2012, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jamie D.[_2_] Jamie D.[_2_] is offline

Default cheapest plant food

"NT" wrote in message
Bought: bags of rotted poo bought from peoples houses
Truly cheapest: All your compostables, either compost them or dig them
into the soil as is. One neat and no work option is to place smallish
pens about the place, and dump into them. As it rots it goes straight
into the nearby soil

NT

Good afternoon,

I've heard of people moving their "dalek" plastic compost bnis about once
they have spread the contents to improve the soil below (increased worm
activity is one of the big advantages, I imagine).

However another thing people sometimes refer to in grow-your-own is
"nitrogen robbing" when organic matter rots in the soil (often mulches, wood
chip, etc), using up nitrogen (I think I've understood what the term refers
to in this scenario) - do you consider this to be a problem, or would you
dig in the compostable material well in advance of planting anything above?

Or another option, if planting "nitrogen fixers" such as legumes, is this
not even a concern, as their need for extra nitrogen is much less.

--
Regards,
Jamie D.

All the way from sunny Lincolnshire.