Old 22-05-2012, 06:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
He thought he was picking chanterelles, not boletes.
The article seemed quite specific that he had mistaken Cortinarius for ceps, and the picture caption said the same. But then it was the Daily Mail.
Quote:
I won't pick A rubescens, because I'm not sufficiently confident about making that distinction with 100.0000% reliability. You need to know your limits.
Yes. I won't eat anything unless a) I have identified it with what I feel is certainty b) there isn't anything poisonous that I could possibly mistake it for.

It means I miss a lot of treats.

I was curious that several readers commented "why take the risk when you can buy them from the supermarket?" Either they go to a much more interesting supermarket than I do, or they are unaware of the different flavours of mushrooms.