View Single Post
  #13   Report Post  
Old 22-05-2012, 09:56 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantonium View Post
Thank you very much for the answers! We've learned a lot, and it will be fun to begin! We've gotten cow compost, soil, hay, planks, stones and other stuff! Seeds are ordered as well!

Have a nice day!
Hey guys!

I am in Iceland and also started with a lawn!
My soil was exactly like yours, very compacted and clay, full of grass on the top, and rocks just a few cms below. This is how I recover it:

1) Perhaps its best to remove the top 5-10cm of soil, which is full of grass, and till the other 30-40cm of soil.

2) On top of this add plenty organic matter, such as tree leaves (not conifers), compost, hay, manure, and grass clippings. Perhaps add sand if you plant carrots or other crops that require good draining. This is good. Make that some 30cm of this mix, at least. This will form a very light and aerate layer of soil. Just after a couple of months it will be full of worms, and form a nice layer of fertile and wet soil!

3) Finally, spread some nice soil on top of it. Let's say 5 cm. If you don't, birds will mess your organic matter mulch, and seedlings might rotten there.

4) Plant your seedlings here, or even sow seeds (if you can water them often). In the end of the season, avoid messing up with this new soil, by pulling plants, just cut them.

5) Swear never to till this new soil ever again! Or walk over it.
I tried both systems, lay card first or the pull grass first; the second option gave better results. Till good but only one time.

Permaculture perennials: rhubarb, lovage, jerusalem artichokes, kale, spring onions...

Read many more species I grow or plan growing here
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permac...tml#post959459