Old 22-05-2012, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Mushroom identity

In article ,
says...

On 05/22/2012 01:30 AM, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Ragnar wrote:
The sample is rather small but it looks to me like Coprinus comatus (Shaggy
Ink Cap) not fully grown.
Very tasty fried in a little butter.

Absolutely definitely not going to be giving it a try. :-P
We have edible mushrooms growing outside hte house - one of my neighbours
has eaten them and says they're nice, and she's not died, but I'm still
really quite paranoid about them. (They're big field mushrooms, I think,
with big white tops and pink gills)

Not worth the risk; this entire family now lives in dialysis after
eating poisonous wild mushrooms in Scotland

http://tinyurl.com/bmfzop3

Janet

That's a bizarre mistake, difficult to understand.

He'd "been told" wrong information, and although he had an ID book he
didn't double check for himself. Presumably he trusted the absent
informant.

Which pretty much sums up the danger of people asking here, for second
hand mushroom ID.

Boletus in general are very safe if you
know what you're doing. (IFF).

That's just what he thought....