Old 23-05-2012, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom identity

In article , wrote:

Oops. A handy list, but I was unclear - I meant which are the ones that
are easy to mistake, not the easy to spot 'oddballs'.

Well, to a first approximation, anything that looks 'mushroom-like'!
There are rules to distinguish Psalliota (all right, Agarica) from
Amanita, but they do require a bit of expertise. Byond that gets
rapidly trickier.

For example, one distinguishing feature of boleti is the texture
of the pores to touch - a bit like foam rubber. Similarly, one
of chanterelles is the smell - a bit like apricots.

Interesting. Apricots, or apricot kernels? (Which I think smell a bit
arsenicky-almondy?)

Apricots.

You can eat stinkhorns when still in the jelly egg stage, too,
and I tried them once. Mind boggling.

Eyww.

Precisely. Vegetable sheeps' eyes, but with little flavour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.