Old 23-05-2012, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Mushroom identity

kay wrote in
:
I was curious that several readers commented "why take the risk when you
can buy them from the supermarket?"

And probably don't realise that blewits, which I have
seen in Waitrose, are marked "do not eat raw" because
they contain haemolytic compounds that are inactivated
by cooking.

Either they go to a much more
interesting supermarket than I do, or they are unaware of the different
flavours of mushrooms.

Well, most of them aren't really worth it,
but some are definitely delicious. My favourites
include lactarius deliciosus, sparassis crispa,
laetiporus suplhureus, auricularia auricula,
macrolepiota procera, hygrophoropsis aurantica