Old 23-05-2012, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elder Tree: Pollarded or Butchered?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 21 May 2012 15:44:42 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Does elder do a willow? ie hack a growing stem off and push it in

the
ground to get a new tree.

I expect it very well might do, but it is a lot more rigid and so not
amenable to weaving as a living fence.

Not interested in a living fence just think that it would be nice to
have a elder or three in the paddock. Will have to check if it will
tolerate the climate up here though.

Thinking that if it will take from a twig next time I pass one I'll
take a few cuttings and stick 'em in the ground or pot.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Do Elders just after flowering, discard the soft tips then use the stems
nodally, they seem to root quite easily but some won't make it through the
winter.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs