Old 23-05-2012, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom identity

On 05/22/2012 12:07 PM, echinosum wrote:
He thought he was picking chanterelles, not boletes. Chanterelles do
have gill-like wrinkles on them. But although it isn't quite as big a
mistake as mistaking gill fungi for a bolete, it was still a pretty
implausible mistake to make for anyone who had any basic knowledge at
all: like mistaking a lychee for a strawberry, or a nectarine for an
apple - some very superficial visual similarity, but anyone with any
sense of the look and feel of the thing would never make such a mistake.

I just read the Mail article. Your certainly right, chanterelle is
nearly as bad a goof up as cepe, just really hard to understand from
anyone with pretty basic knowledge and experience.

As Nick and others have said, there are certain rules to follow with
mushrooms, but if you're initiated and don't mess with certain sorts,
you'll be fine. We eat cepes of all kinds (including erythropus,
poisonous uncooked but top quality otherwise), chanterelles, hedgehog,
and a few others, but the hard and fast rule is nothing goes in the pan
without 100% sure identification.

Some may feel this is too much risk, but as someone pointed out in the
thread getting behind the wheel is risky too...