Old 24-05-2012, 02:55 PM
nb- nb- is offline
Registered User

Question Clay Soil Improvement / Organic Matter Types (London)

Hi,

I have just had my garden landscaped (removing a massive terrace full of rubble), however its now down to faintly yellow looking clay, all the black soil on top has gone. It reminds me of the stuff I used at school to make pots out of!

Having read about how to improve the soil to make it suitable for lawn/veg/flowers, the answer appears to be I need to add a lot of organic matter to it, and not work it when wet! (?)

I am new to gardening, and am now confused about the various types of compost available, and what is best to use;

Organic Compost (Screened to 10mm/20mm)
"Compost"
Soil Conditioner
Well Rotted Farm Yard Manure
Various ground up bark/wood products some of which seem to be marketed as peat replacement.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

(Also if anyone knows a good cheap supplier for these things as I think I need a lorry load!)