Old 24-05-2012, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_5_] Alan Holmes[_5_] is offline

Default Trapping squirrels

"Gareth" wrote in message
I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel within 10
minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame houses and
damaging plants and trees.

A pest control company will charge to destroy them but this incredibly
involves clubbing the poor buggers to death having placed them in a sack.
Doesn't sound right to me. A local vet will charge a consultation fee plus
other charges to humanely destroy a caught squirrel - about £60.

I've been told that you can't release them once caught. But what harm
would it do to release a squirrel in a local forest miles away from anyone
where there are already thousands - probably millions - of the critters?
I'm not saying there is no harm just asking for an understanding of what
it is.

Whatever you may feel about it, the ONLY solution is to kill the buggers,
they are vermine and all they do is to cause harm to other creatures.

Alan