Old 26-05-2012, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gregz gregz is offline

Default Chilli Help - Withering in the sunlight!

Stevie wrote:
Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I am a total novice so please excuse my total
lack of knowledge.

I have decided to grow chillies this year as I love eating them and so
far so good, I have 26 plants in total with a mixture of regular
chillies, Habanero, Japaleno and Serrano and quite a few are starting to
grow buds.

I do not have a green house but I do have a conservatory so have been
keeping them on/near the window sill in there. As you know, over the
last few days we have had very hot weather and I expected the chillies
to love this but every day I come home from work and they look like they
are about to keel over and die!! I water them in the morning and my wife
gives them a little drink at lunch time but by the time I get home they
have wilted and look very sorry for themselves. They perk up as the
temperature drops but I am concerned that this is damaging them and
could affect the fruit they 'may' produce. I know that chillies like
sunlight and heat but as there is no air flow in the conservatory so am
I suffocating them?

It does seem that the plants that are away from the window sill are
affected less so should I move them from the direct sunlight while the
weather is so hot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have other queries but will
post these later.

Thanks in advance!

Stevie
(Novice Chilli Grower)

Your supposed to break them in gradually. A little sunlight, a little heat,
a little cold.
Then more.

Greg