Old 25-05-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom identity

echinosum wrote in
:

Christina Websell;959489 Wrote:
I do like the idea that mushrooms that pop up in your garden are edible
and
maybe some are. I was afraid to eat something that I thought was a
perfect
specimen of a parasol mushroom under my trees and perhaps it was fine.
So I ate another different one that emerged - looked like a small field

mushroom, but kinda not the same but who knows if they change as they
grow.

You, like Mr Whisperer, were suffering from not understanding the level
of your own ignorance.

Sounds like it Education may be expensive, but
ignorance is more expensive.

Actually parasol is one of the safer ones as it is relatively hard to
mistake a parasol for something else, provided you have seen a few
parasols and someone who knows has confirmed it to you. They are quite
distinctive once you have seen a few and know that is what they are. So
it is the parasol you should have eaten with confidence, provided you
had good reason to be confident, not the mushroom which is much easier
to mistake for something else.

I've eaten parasols and shaggy parasols. Both were
delicious, but the /second/ time I ate shaggy parasols
my digestive tract rebelled violently. Possible difference:
the second ones were growing under a laurel.

Yes there are some things that can grow in gardens that are edible, but
there are rather more things that can grow in gardens that aren't. St
Georges Mushrooms and some edible milk caps (most milk caps aren't) grow
regularly in my garden, but in such small quantity I can't be bothered.
I was bothered when some morels grew, as they are special, but that was
a one-off associated with some bark mulch we put down. My parents'
garden had some boletes, which no longer occur when they grassed that
bit. It also had summer truffles for a few years. But most of what
grew, russulas, amanitas, wax caps, etc, I wouldn't touch.

Many wax caps are pretty unmistakable, but are only
marginally worth eating.