Old 26-05-2012, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom identity

In article 2,
Tom Gardner wrote:
echinosum wrote in
:

Actually parasol is one of the safer ones as it is relatively hard to
mistake a parasol for something else, provided you have seen a few
parasols and someone who knows has confirmed it to you. They are quite
distinctive once you have seen a few and know that is what they are. So
it is the parasol you should have eaten with confidence, provided you
had good reason to be confident, not the mushroom which is much easier
to mistake for something else.

I've eaten parasols and shaggy parasols. Both were
delicious, but the /second/ time I ate shaggy parasols
my digestive tract rebelled violently. Possible difference:
the second ones were growing under a laurel.

Vanishingly unlikely to be the cause. Did you have any alcohol
with the latter :-)

I have had that effect with what I was absolutely certain was not
the antabuse species, so I suspect that there may be a shaggy one
that includes a small amount of the same toxin. Whether it is
that the normal one can occasionally do so, there is another
so-far unseparated (sub-)species, or my speculation is wrong,
God alone knows. Anyway, mere short-term gutrot isn't something
worth worrying about.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.