Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Kumar Sivasubramanian

Default Does this plant actually exist?!

There's a plant called the "telegraph plant" or "semaphore plant":

Desmodium gyrans
n : erect tropical Asian shrub whose small lateral leaflets
rotate on their axes and jerk up and down under the
influence of sunshine [syn: telegraph plant, semaphore
plant, Codariocalyx motorius, Desmodium motorium, Desmodium
gyrans]

I got 347 hits on "Desmodium gyrans" on google.com, including an article
about a guy in Thailand who grows them and calls them "dancing plants".

Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it. Thanks!

Kumar