Old 22-04-2003, 06:56 AM
FOW

Default Above ground or below it?

Plant AT ground level. Plant to high and they fall over later. Plant too low
and bud union rots. You could always cover with mulch in cold times.
"Jeffrey J. Potoff" wrote in message

Kim wrote:
As a newbie with roses, I am still in the "hunt and learn" stages when

it comes
to things about roses and planting them and caring for them. I think of
something related to roses and off I go through Google, seeing what I

can find
about that subject.

On Saturday I did what many of y'all admit to doing -- saw a boxed rose

and was
unable to resist taking it home. I was at the local agricultural co-op

and
couldn't resist a J&P "Cherish" I saw. I told myself, "It would fit

your
gardening scheme *much* better than the Baby Grand you have coming in

any
day..."

OK, now "Cherish" is sitting outside, waiting for the others (in

containers)
from S&W Greenhouse to arrive before anyone gets planted. So I'm out

there
online running around, reading here, reading web pages, reading all

kinds of
stuff, and getting quite a few bits of conflicting info!

Hence the title -- Should a bare root rose be planted with the bud union

ABOVE,
or BELOW, ground level in zone 6? I've seen instructions for anywhere

fron 2"
below the ground to at ground level or 1" or 2" above it. From reading

what
you folks are saying over the past few days I've read the group, I'd

think
'below' is the right answer...but how far below?

And if I have to wait several more days to plant it, where should it be

kept in
the meantime? Outdoors...if so, in sun or shade? Indoors...on a porch

with
windows, or in a dark shed or garage?

A better sense of what and how to do it with a boxed/bagged rose in zone

6
would be greatly appreciated. :-)

I'm in zone 5, and I plant all bud unions level with the ground. I
planted some roses with the bud unions a couple inches down, but I get
more new basals coming from the roses where the bud union isn't buried.

J.