Old 26-05-2012, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Clay Soil Improvement / Organic Matter Types (London)

nb- wrote:

Hi,

I have just had my garden landscaped (removing a massive terrace full of
rubble), however its now down to faintly yellow looking clay, all the
black soil on top has gone. It reminds me of the stuff I used at school
to make pots out of!

sounds like you didn't specify this very well.
when landscaping you shouldn't be left with
something you can't use. the excavator must not
be very ethical. they should have covered this.

Having read about how to improve the soil to make it suitable for
lawn/veg/flowers, the answer appears to be I need to add a lot of
organic matter to it, and not work it when wet! (?)

I am new to gardening, and am now confused about the various types of
compost available, and what is best to use;

Organic Compost (Screened to 10mm/20mm)
"Compost"
Soil Conditioner
Well Rotted Farm Yard Manure
Various ground up bark/wood products some of which seem to be marketed
as peat replacement.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

(Also if anyone knows a good cheap supplier for these things as I think
I need a lorry load!)

how large an area?

songbird