Old 27-05-2012, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Cleavers and Rosebay Willow Herb

On Sun, 27 May 2012 18:00:30 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
writes

and the collared dove - of those, I have
heard plausible but unproven explanations of the last, and know
of none of the first two (though I haven't looked hard).

Having a sparrowhawk here has reduced my collared dove population to nil.
Tina

Interesting as here, despite a few sparrow hawks (I say a few thanks
to simultaneous sightings) and buzzards flying a bit higher but
swooping down occasionally, the collared dove population has trebled
to 3 pairs this year (they have occasionally arrived together). They
seem very brave and don't stop feeding if we or cat walk out into the
garden but they do get aggressive if smaller birds try to get at the
bird table when they're on it.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.