Old 28-05-2012, 12:47 PM
PUSB1987 PUSB1987 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"PUSB1987" wrote ...

Hi, newbie here, I'm doing my mums garden for her, she was some plants
but have no idea what to get.

She wants some roses that are pink or red, have big flowers, nice strong
smell, easy to keep & are fairly resistant.

Also after a bush/hedge, that is slow growing but grows to about 8ft.

Got about £100 to spend for everything including some cheap flowers from
the garden center to add a bit of colour.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Personally I like the David Austin "old English" type roses, something like
"Gertrude Jekyll" would fit the bill with big dark pink flowers with a good
perfume.
David Austin Roses - Bare root roses, Container roses, English Roses, Climbers, Ramblers - Buy online
but his roses are expensive.
You don't say where you are in the UK but I have dealt with the Wych Cross
Garden Centre which always has the most enormous selection of roses (1400
varieties!) and the staff are extremely helpful too and they have a decent
Tea Room/Loos.
Rose Plants, Buy Roses Online at Wych Cross Garden Centre UK
A bush or hedge that grows to about 8ft tall, a surprising number of plants
will grow to 8ft tall but some may take decades, do you want it to screen
something, to look good all year, to have flowers.......need more detail.
Cheap flowers from a GC? Try looking for a local plant nursery, ask some
local allotment holders if they know one, and you will usually find much
better plants for a lot less money and someone who knows what they are doing
and who usually enjoys their work.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Thank you for that great link, I think the 'Queen Anne' & 'Gertrude Jekyll' would both be perfect.

I live in Coventry (West Midlands), The bush will be used to screen of the garage, she would like something that she only has to cut once or twice a year at most, not really to bothered by having something that flowers, but if there's something that is colourful with big flowers then that would be fine.

I'll have a look at a plant nursery, I think there's one near my mums.