Old 28-05-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Flower help/advice

PUSB1987 wrote in
:

Hi, newbie here, I'm doing my mums garden for her, she was some plants
but have no idea what to get.

She wants some roses that are pink or red, have big flowers, nice strong
smell, easy to keep & are fairly resistant.

Also after a bush/hedge, that is slow growing but grows to about 8ft.

Got about £100 to spend for everything including some cheap flowers from
the garden center to add a bit of colour.

Thanks for any help in advance.

You should get to know how to access newsgroups first. Your post is through
gardenbanter. Some of us do not like the way gardenbanter operates.

Anyway, I don't grow many flowers/shrubs, but I do know that all plants
like to be in nice, fertile soil. The first thing is to make sure of this
IMO, by digging in manure or compost.

There are bargains to be had at Poundstretchers, Wilco, etc for roses, £2
per plant.
Your mum might like to grow some fruit bushes. Raspberry or gooseberry,
even blackcurrant.

I don't know how large her garden is, but my advice is to plant a whole bed
up this year, maybe 2 beds with £100 budget.

Any other money can be used to buy anual flower plugs.

Learn how to take cuttings also. Saves ££££'s.

Hope this helps you and best wishes
Baz