Old 28-05-2012, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Compost - Health warning

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

Short version;

"Dr Martin Donaghy, medical director of Health Protection Scotland, said

quote

"Over the past five years we've had three confirmed cases of Legionella
longbeachae, plus two 'probable' and one 'possible'" ..
We've got no evidence it's anything to do with the compost "

Janet.

I think you are misquoting them Janet.

The 'we've got no evidence' line, comes further down the report, where
Dr. Donaghy is talking about why they have spotted such cases in
Scotland and not in the rest of the UK, and he doesn't think it is
likely that any difference in the compost is the likely cause of this.

It's likely that they tested the compost (it says they were thre
different brands), and other possible sources such as the household
water supply etc. and so know the source.

It seems this is a more common problem in NZ, as the bags of compost
there have warnings on.
--
Chris French