Old 28-05-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Strange plant ID anybody?

On 28/05/2012 22:26, someone wrote:
. uk wrote
in message ...

Hello,

This is a first post! I'm hoping someone with some
expertise would be
able to solve something for me?

I have had a group of strange plants growing at the front
of my house
which looked really unusual so last year I dug one of them
up and re
potted in the garden (as they look like they are taking
over - after one
year roots were about 3cm thick).

Everyone who sees it comments on how unusual it is but
nobody seems to
know WHAT it is - and I suspect its something sinister ;-)

Some more info: They have just began to flower this year
and when leaves
/ branches are cut they secrete a lot of milk! Also when i
cut branches
or leaves off; the surrounding leaves quickly droop for a
couple of days
then recover.

Pictures below...

http://tinyurl.com/bsx32mk
http://tinyurl.com/6qmywfg
http://tinyurl.com/crj8odf
http://tinyurl.com/6rhbmkf
http://tinyurl.com/7qmcg8r

Any help gratefully received!

Euphorbia lathyrus, or caper spurge, or mole plant -
believed to deter moles.

someone

I will only add that the 'sinister' bit is that it's quite toxic. That
milky sap or 'latex' is a severe skin irritant, especially in strong
sunlight. It is wise to wear gloves when handling it.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London