Old 29-05-2012, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default First Redcurrant!!

NT wrote:
I think ours have always been chomped off by the pigeons and other wee
birdies (do jays eat berries?). ?We have 2 redcurrant bushes, and every
year the early one is stripped bare before I get a berry - this is the
very first one I've had in 3 years! ?But hten the second bush ripens and
all the birds are too fat from the first bush to eat any, and I get a
whole freezer full. ?But this year Nick has netted it early.

when fully ripe they get translucent

I am aware of this. It doesn't seem to deter the birds.