Old 29-05-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strange plant ID anybody?

In article , Sacha wrote:

I will only add that the 'sinister' bit is that it's quite toxic. That
milky sap or 'latex' is a severe skin irritant, especially in strong
sunlight. It is wise to wear gloves when handling it.

Not 'severe' - it's nothing extreme in that respect. As Martin
Brown points out, the real risk is getting it in your eyes.

Sensitivity will depend on the individual. Just recently I touched the
leaves of a Euphorbia and then, a little later, my mouth. For about an
hour my lips were tingling and a bit numb. I hadn't touched any actual
sap at all.

Oh yes, but it's STILL not severe! There are quite a few exotics
that are so nasty that they should not be planted where children
or other unsuspecting people might brush against them.

Euphorbia is one of the more irritant of common UK plants, but no
more than that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.