Old 29-05-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Strange plant ID anybody?

In article , says...

In article ,
Spider wrote:

I will only add that the 'sinister' bit is that it's quite toxic. That
milky sap or 'latex' is a severe skin irritant, especially in strong
sunlight. It is wise to wear gloves when handling it.

Not 'severe' - it's nothing extreme in that respect.

In *some* people euphorbia causes a temporary very itchy rash of large
fluid filled blisters which eventually burst; followed by longterm
photosensitivity on the same site. ie, whenever the healed skin is exposed
to sun, the blister reaction recurs all over again (without any
euphorbia contact).. IME this recurrent photosensitivity can last a year
or more, and causes skin darkening /discolouring that lasts even longer.

I certainly wouldnt want children or pets crashing into my large
euphorbias so I grow the plants in the centre of beds, away from paths
and unwary visitors.

Janet