Old 29-05-2012, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Strange plant ID anybody?

In article ,
lid says...

On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:22:49 +0100 (BST),
wrote:

In article , Sacha wrote:

I will only add that the 'sinister' bit is that it's quite toxic. That
milky sap or 'latex' is a severe skin irritant, especially in strong
sunlight. It is wise to wear gloves when handling it.

Not 'severe' - it's nothing extreme in that respect. As Martin
Brown points out, the real risk is getting it in your eyes.

Sensitivity will depend on the individual. Just recently I touched the
leaves of a Euphorbia and then, a little later, my mouth. For about an
hour my lips were tingling and a bit numb. I hadn't touched any actual
sap at all.

Oh yes, but it's STILL not severe! There are quite a few exotics
that are so nasty that they should not be planted where children
or other unsuspecting people might brush against them.

Euphorbia is one of the more irritant of common UK plants, but no
more than that.

It seems to be capable of causing blindness if the latex gets in the
eyes.

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10636407

The spectrum of ocular inflammation caused by euphorbia plant sap.
Eke T, Al-Husainy S, Raynor MK.
Source

Department of Ophthalmology, Leicester Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom.

"These cases illustrate the range of severity of Euphorbia sap
keratouveitis. The condition seems to be self-limiting when managed
supportively. People who work with Euphorbia plant species should wear eye
protection. Clinicians managing keratopathy caused by Euphorbia species
should be aware of the danger of sight-threatening infection and uveitis,
particularly during the first few days."

Janet