Old 22-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Gordon Couger

Default Education: UK

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes
A recurcusive soluouton that goes all the way throught to the other side

of
the channel calulates the avergate and returns the area and return the

area
to the incantaion that called where it is summed wiht the area of that
incantation and so on until the function fails back to the point it

return
the area in the stream. It is all done with volitile variables and no

house
keeping.

yes, but you has the x-y data so calculating the area is a simple
simpson's rule. NO recursion.

As I recall she ask for help and I looked at what she had and solved the
problem with out thinking much about it. I saw triangles and rectangles and
summed them up. I used recursion because I was in the middle of a hydrology
problem that I was solving recursively and it was the method that came to
mind. This was something we did one afternoon after coffee. She had a
problem and I made it go away.

She needed the areas not the best way to find the areas. My job was to make
things work not to teach theory.

I even got one of those hacks published. Entomology was studying tick
response to CO2 at 55 f and using our walk in cooler. They couldn't get the
CO2 and air mix right and I wrote a program to pulse width modulate the CO2
valve using printer port of the laptop that the were using to record data
with and they published the program along with the paper.

Gordon