Old 29-05-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Wash your hands after handling that muck. Legionella longbeachae

On 5/29/2012 11:04 AM, Bob Hobden wrote:

Funny but I was just talking to an older nurseryman (Dunkirk Nursery,
Ripley Road, Egham, excellent for bedding and veg plants) and we were
discussing the modern composts. He uses Levingtons Professional with
some added ingredients of his own, it's basically a peat based compost
and he gets castigated by some customers for using it. However we both
agreed the new composted rubbish composts are just that with bits of
plastic and sticks common. They should really be sterilised before sale
for the health of the plants let alone the gardener, he's even heard a
rumour of trials to make composts out of chopped straw mixed with sewage
sludge, would anyone want to handle that?

Milwaukee has been treating its sewage and selling it as fertiliser for
years.

http://www.milorganite.com/en/Using-Milorganite/What-is-It.aspx