Old 29-05-2012, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default any mint will do ?

As "any mint will do" why not take cuttings from the mint you already have?
Just take the top couple of inches off as many stems as you want to and
stick them in a milk bottle full of water on your windowsill. They root
very easily and quickly. Then pot them on to get them rooting strongly in
soil, then when they are romping away, plant them in your mint bed.

As I see downthread you want it for your pony and will need quite a lot for
this, I won't add the usual warning "keep it in a bottomless bucket to stop
it taking over" ;-)
I know how important it is to keep ponies from getting overfat (laminitis)
as when I had mine out on loan once, she got it.
Lots of luck with keeping her interested in her restricted diet with your
great idea of growing mint and drying it to include in her feed. All ponies
love Polos

Tina

I have never tried rooting mint in water although I do use that method with
fuchsia's, sounds a very good idea and yes I think I will use quite a lot.
The pony is doing well and hopefully will be out in the starvation paddock
very soon, well on the way to recovery :-).
Thank you for your input and interest

kate