Old 29-05-2012, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default any mint will do ?

snip

I have a pony mare who has been on a strict diet for some time and I want
liven up her rather boring feed, I have used mint before to give digestive
support and the horses generally like it, I do the same with nettles. I
just
thought that as I had the room I may as well grow it myself rather than
buy
it ready done. There are many different sorts of mint, I think herb
gardening is rather interesting.

OK. Well, IME applemint and spearmint are the fastest increasers and
both completely hardy in the UK (unlike some mints).They are also the two
most commonly used UK culinary mints (strong mint flavour from mint oils).
Applemint has roundish slightly furry leaves, spearmint leaves are
pointed, bright green.

Do you dry the nettles too or just let them wilt until they don't sting?
I wonder if you had thought of making a liquid draught and if horses would
accept that.
Janet

I usually hang the nettles up in bunches in an airy place and let them dry
out naturally. I haven't thought of making a liquid draught with them , a
good idea :-)
I think spearmint will be the best to use or maybe both. I can see that I
am going to be busy:-).
Thank you for your interest

kate