Old 29-05-2012, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Chilli Help - Withering in the sunlight!

Stevie wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input so far. By hot weather I mean North West England
so temps around 27 degrees C but higher in the conservatory.

I would be opening windows if it was much hotter than that.

They are getting a steady amount of moisture and no obvious signs of
funghi. They are all sat in 5" pots at the moment and some of the
plants are getting on to 10 inches tall now. Is it time to re-pot
them?

If they wilt every afternoon they are NOT getting a steady amount of
moisture and in 5" pots I am not amazed.

I am reluctant to put them outside, as they will get destroyed by
pests.

You can get plenty of pests indoors too if you are not careful.

As mentioned before, once the room cools and they had had a drink they
perk up nicely with no obvious ill effects.

Yes of course but what you don't see is that they shut down their metabolism
while wilted.

Most plants have small
buds at the very top now and are a nice healthy green with no
discolouration so maybe I am worrying about nothing?

Stevie

You are not going to get mature plants with good fruit in 5" pots.