Old 30-05-2012, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost - Health warning

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Jake wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 12:34:58 +0100, Fuschia
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18206191

This isn't new news; there have been warnings about compost around for
a couple of years now. I always wear latex gloves when handling bought
compost. Indeed I nearly always wear them when potting on etc., as it
saves a lot of under-the-nails cleaning and also saves time if I want
to make a cuppa

I am afraid that my reaction to 5 cases in 14 years is "Aw, gee!"

I don't bother cleaning up to make tea - that's what my immune
system is there for :-) Fairly seriously, like almost all other
abilities, there is a strong element of "use it or lose it", so
being paranoid about infection is nearly as harmful as being
really careless.

I'm with you, Nick. I eat without washing my hands if I only have a bit of
soil on them from grubbing around with plants.
Not died yet.
Disclaimer: Don't do what I do.