Old 30-05-2012, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Wash your hands after handling that muck. Legionella longbeachae

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 May 2012 19:55:20 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

In the old days they would go around Hong Kong collecting "Night soil"
which was then taken to "The New Territories" where it was used as
manure for the fruit and veg grown to supply Hong Kong.
This went on into the 60's.
When I was young we would dig out a trench and empty the cesspit into it
by bucket and recover with soil, this would then be where we grew our
runner beans and peas.
David @ the parched end of Swansea Bay

Not long after the war, probably late 1940's, we went as a family for
a holiday on the Channel Islands. One of the 'trips' we went on was a
tour of the German fortifications, including an underground bunker.
While we were in the bunker, it was suddenly filled with all-pervading
smell of human excrement. Being as I was only little, many people in
the party assumed I'd done something in my pants, even though I
protested vehemently to my parents that I hadn't. When we emerged into
the fresh air, it was apparent that the local farmer was manuring a
nearby field with the stuff. I doubt if 'Jersey Royals' have ever been
as good since!

I was under the impression that they had to be fertilised with seaweeed to
be Jersey Royals.

Steve