Old 22-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

Default crassula ovata (was sandy potting mix ?)

In article , Gyve Turquoise
writes

"Joe" wrote in message

I found out what my plant is called thanks to David, it's a crassula

ovata
aka money tree).

This plant is called a "tree that turns into money" in Japan, apparently
because the shapes of the leaves look like an old Japanese coin. I suppose
the name was translated into English "money tree".

Is it because of the shape of the green leaves, or is it the way the
dead leaves have a shiny, almost metallic, look?

Mine flowered this winter. Apparently the trick is not to water them! Having
said that, my father in Britain has a giant one, which is really ugly, he
says he has never watered it, but anyway it never flowers, just keeps
getting bigger and bigger and more and more ugly I think.

It might need water after a period of drought - this is the trigger for
some other plants. Just a guess. Two of mine flower, two don't - they're
all the same plant which fell apart after a cold damp winter about 8
years back.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: