Old 30-05-2012, 11:03 PM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

[/quote]

Hi All,

Although I have been experimenting with the produce that these ancient Amazon delta indians would have used in their rubbish pits. It is now getting to the stage where it is no longer tenable to use them. Prices are now such that I will discontinue this form of composting.

I feel that this did make a difference to the crop yields which I was achieving, however prices have now risen to a level which I can no longer afford. I will now purchase the odd bag of cassava, sweet potato and yam flour from time to time but will use them sparingly. It will be interesting to see what difference this makes to my results. It was the tubers which I previously used as there was a great amount of nutrition for the EM's to feed upon.

This was obvious from the relatively quick breakdown of the compost, however it may be that Comfrey will be a good substitute to these tubers. I have used Comfrey in my charcoal inoculation liquid, but the tubers were all high in vegetable starch which brought in the yeast element of TP to the process. Will the flour have the same effect, I'll just have to wait and see.

Most of my maincrop potatoes Are almost ready for their first earthing up. Before doing so I will spread used coffee grounds along the rows and then proceed to earth up.

This as you will remember is part of my experiment to deter and or kill slugs who come anywhere near my potato crop. It will also be interesting to see if this application actually has any effect on wireworm. Whereas I am reasonably sure about the effect on slugs I'm relatively unsure regarding wireworm, only time will tell.

It has been lovely weather up in the north for the last week or so and I decided to open out the old carpet which I had decided to use for bumble bee nests. This as it turned out was not a good idea as they had already set up residence!!!!

As I peeled back the top layer I was met by a furore of angry bumble bees, I quickly replaced the top layer of carpet, however not quickly enough to avoid being stung a couple of times. Bumble bees are like wasps insofar as they can sting you any number of times so I was forced to beat a hasty retreat!!!

Fortunately I always carry a homoeopathic and herbal emergency kit with me and was able to treat the stings both internally and externally. Sometimes Mother nature does not need our help, as was the case in this instance!!!

It was good to discover that the bumble bees had taken up residence, but I should have been more aware of their presence in the first place. I had not seen much evidence of bumble bees as I had stated before, however they have obviously getting their nutrition from other plots.

I have purchased and sown some Hollyhock seed which I hope will sustain their lives on my plot. This in conjunction with early spring bulbs will provide them the food which they require as in pollen.

My Topper shallots have been very slow to make headway, however given the low temperatures we have experienced until a week ago its not surprising.

My Congo blue maincrop potatoes have finally shown through, an unusual leaf form, but may change as they grow and prosper.

Uriel

The mind is like a parachute, its totally useless unless its open