Old 30-05-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New chickens (OT)

wrote in message
Janet wrote:
Seems fair enough to me, replacing like with like. 18.99 seems an awful
lot.

I used to buy POL birds from a commercial producer, on the only occasion
I requested a replacement he happily gave me another but would not take
back the blind bird ; it was mine to keep or dispose of.

Because it had been on my premises (where there were other poultry and
wild birds) he wouldn't risk it bringing an acquired infection back into
his flock.

Cyclops eventually learned to find her way round as a freerange bird
and turned into a great layer .

Nicely named. :-)
The problem in Tina's case, I guess, is she doesn't want it to infect
her others if there is anything that can be passed on.

It's that too, but it's more that I don't want a dud. These are young POL
pullets and 18.99 is expensive for one that may never do well. 2 will not
be enough to provide my family with eggs.
I was not able to to take her back today (other commitments) but I will be
going there tomorrow - without her - to see what my options are.
She is not desperately ill, just "not right."
She does eat, but not enough, not with gusto, consequently her droppings are
not firm enough. Too much white (urine) and not enough brown.
I'll see what they say tomorrow.
The other two are absolutely fine. Very perky, upright tails, run around
like crazy trying to catch flies, getting red faces which means they will
soon lay.