Old 31-05-2012, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Gardenia Tree

On 5/31/2012 7:27 AM, cici ramirez wrote:
Hello I have a beautful Gardenia Tree I am sure it is the aimme
Gardenia tree. has anyone ever grown it and over wintered it in the
norht east of the US?

I guess you could call my gardenia a gardenia tree as it is on a graft
stock.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vvqh51.jpg

The gardenia is over 35 years old and I keep it inside in cold months
and outside from about May to October. I live in Northern Delaware.

When kept inside, it gets spider mites which are kept under control with
misting and wiping. Once it got scale which required a systemic to
eliminate. The gardenia is in a 16 inch pot which is about as big as I
can handle and is kept in check with pruning and occasional root pruning.

I've been able to clone numerous plants from cuttings and they grow well
and flower.