Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default garden bird ID

Can someone help me ID the bird I just caught a glimpse of in the
garden, please? It was about the size and approximate colour of
a sparrow - and to be honest, it /could/ have been a (f)sparrow, as
I couldn't get a clear sight on it ... but it looked like it had
a shorter fatter beak, and a slight yellow tinge to its back ..
and it .. they, there were 2 of them, appeared to be picking off
aphids from the underside of the rose and victoria plum tree, which
I have never seen a sparrow do. It also had a more swoopy flight
than sparrows tend to.
I was thinking maybe some kind of finch?