Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGirl View Post
As far as I know ashes from wood charcoal can increase the pH of the compost in general. That's ok for the aerobic microorganisms but remember that ashes + water = primitive bleach!
Hi SurfGirl,

Had a similar comment a while ago, the thing is, that wood ash offers a very limited supply of nutrient to the soil.

What I am using is charcoal inoculated with nutrient, dried and then added in layers to my compost bins. These bins are inoculated with neat EM cultures. The EM cultures increase the speed of compost breakdown, said breakdown is then absorbed by the charcoal.

Now whereas the ash will be gone within a season the charcoal will be there for hundreds of years.

Regarding ashes + water making bleach, the EM's within the soil will breakdown this bleach and use it as a food source.

It might be better to read through my previous postings, as at no time have I ever advocated the use of wood ash!!

You are quite right as far as the increase in pH is concerned however this is limited and offset by the increase in soil fertility with regard to charcoal.

The mind is like a parachute its totally useless unlass it is open

uriel13