Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Callicarpa 'Profusion'

A good friend of mine ordered 3 C. Profusion with the advice that it was
necessary to plant 3. She has just given me one of these 3 plants (an
8" rooted twig in a small pot). She actually admitted it was the best
of her 3 plants. This is, of course, very kind but it creates a dilemma.

My understanding is that 3 plants are needed to be sure of berries. By
giving me one plant, she seems to have lessened her chance of a good
show of berries. I think she will be hurt and embarrassed if I offer to
return it to her, so my questions a

i) Does C. Profusion need all 3 plants for good berry display?
ii) If it does, will cuttings from the current plant(s) serve in time to
fill the void. (She will need one more plant, I will need two).

My understanding was that it was the *basic* Callicarpa bodinieri that
needed 2-3 plants for berry display, but that C.b. Profusion was an
hermaphrodite and was self-pollinating. If I'm right, the dilemma is
resolved, but I'm not sure enough. How reliable is C.Profusion when
berrying (yes, the new verb "to berry") with only one plant. Does
anyone here know?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London