Old 02-06-2012, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Callicarpa 'Profusion'

On 06/02/2012 03:09 PM, Sacha wrote:
My understanding was that it was the *basic* Callicarpa bodinieri that
needed 2-3 plants for berry display, but that C.b. Profusion was an
hermaphrodite and was self-pollinating. If I'm right, the dilemma is
resolved, but I'm not sure enough. How reliable is C.Profusion when
berrying (yes, the new verb "to berry") with only one plant. Does
anyone here know?

I don't know about its sexual inclinations but we have one growing alone
at the very bottom of the garden and it berries well. I'll check with
the boss though.

Ditto. We have a single plant, there's certainly none others around
here. It fruits well enough but the berries don't like the wet and
seldom make it very far into the winter.