Old 22-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Alastair J. Smith

Default Grass cutting

"bnd777" wrote in message
Do it all have Champion rotary Mowers that are really Mountfields with the
same Briggs and Stratton Engines plus adjustable cutting heights

........they
are pretty inexpensive and often on offer at around £120
I had a Mountfield for 20 yrs and a Champion one for last 10 ........no
problem with it whatever

The Champion mowers are not Mountfields. Mountfield as a company no longer
exists. If you have had a Mountfield for 20 years it will bear no
resemblance to the brand of today. You also cannot compare a Champion mower
as this is the Focus own brand which is put out to tender every year, last
year it was Electrolux (owner of Flymo & Husqvanna amongst other brands)
this year it is Castel Garden of Italy, as is the machines in B&Q &
Homebase. The Mountfield machine is also made in the same factory.

The are also more expensive Mountfields made at the Stiga factory in
Scandinavia (I think?) But these are still not the same as machines of 10 -
20 years ago.