Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Damaeus Damaeus is offline

Default Dedicated Composting Pile versus Tossing Scraps Into the Garden

In news:rec.gardens, Sean Straw posted on
Sat, 02 Jun 2012 21:11:13 -0700 the following:

Well, in part because the process of composting a balanced compost
(the typical 30:1 C:N ratio) in a pile or bin is intended to help the
compost "light off" with maximum aerobic levels, raising the
temperature, which helps to kill off weed seed and pathogens, and also
to break down the material into its component nutrients. Scatter a
few misc cuttings here and there, and more likely, you'll just be
inviting the worms to eat, which is fine, but won't kill seed or
pathogens (or bug eggs) in your food waste, unless a worm consumes
that part.

Thanks for the response. So far I haven't done anything for the plants I
have growing except water them, and aside from a few bugs munching on the
leaves of some red cabbage an jalapeno plants, so far everything appears
to be disease-free, but the plants are all still young since I was almost
too late planting.

Damaeus