Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Damaeus Damaeus is offline

Default Dedicated Composting Pile versus Tossing Scraps Into the Garden

In news:rec.gardens, "David Hare-Scott" posted on Sun,
3 Jun 2012 14:31:00 +1000 the following:

Damaeus wrote:

So my question is: why can't I just take the fresh strawberry scraps,
chop them up a bit, then sprinkle them around the tomatoes, the bell
peppers, corn, and whatever else I have growing out there?

You can do that. It would be more sensible to accumulate your vege
scraps for a day or two and then dispose of them together. It is not
very uncommon for people to not have a dedicated heap but to just bury
vege scaps (and othe useful material) in beds under preparation or next
to existing plants. Just leaving the scraps on the surface will be
messy.

Ah, yes. Well, I did intend to work them into the soil a bit. Maybe I'll
stick it all in the food processor while it's still fresh so it'll spread
around more easily.

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I know why people compost
in a pile, but it seems like a lot of the nutrients from composting
would also wash directly into the soil where the compost pile is
located.

Happens all the time. The grass downhill from the heap will be the best
in the yard.

If I decide to do a compost pile, perhaps I'll do it under the pear tree.

Damaeus