Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default What is eating my pea plants

On 03/06/2012 12:25, wrote:
David wrote:
The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady
location. Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart
from any shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone
suggest a culprit ( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too)
and how to protect them ?

I'd say it's mice.

I didn't think mice went for the leaves. I'd go with pigeons.
Netting is the only way to stop pigeons, and even then they sometimes just
sit on it and peck through. :-(

Thanks to you both. I have surrounded one row with netting. If that
recovers it was pigeons, if not mice.

Paul