Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is eating my pea plants

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
The peas (mangetous) that I planted in the allotment didn't seem to
germinate so I put some into containers. They all then germinated so the
allotment got a second row and the excess went into the garden.

The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady location.
Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart from any
shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone suggest a culprit
( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too) and how to protect
them ?

I'm having the same problem with the peas I've planted on the allotment, but
it cannot be pigeons in my case as they are netted against birds. They were
perfectly OK when I reared them here from seed but when I planted them out
on the lottie, something is chomping them.

Tina