Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Ficus from Tesco

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Many years back, bought a couple of Ficus from Tesco - like minature trees
with variegated leaves.
Small pots, plants about a foot high at the moment, think they started out
a bit smaller.
Cycles of care and neglect have seen them drop leaves and regrow them many
times.
Ove the years some branches (twigs) have stopped producing leaves so the
whole thing looked straggly.
The overall size has remained much the same.

snip
Fide Wikipedia, Ficus elastica grows to up to 200 feet tall. Even Ficus
benjamina can reach a 100 feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_elastica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_benjamina

Which brings me to wonder if all are the same plant/tree - I had assumed
that I had a minature version but perhaps what I have is a couple of
severely pot bound trees.

snip

Don't think it is Ficus Elastica, assuming that this is what in the '70s was
generally called a rubber plant and grew up and across the ceiling of many a
flat.

Leaves are much smaller and variegated.
Benjamina looks far more likely - but some of the pictures show large leaves
and the leaves on mine are quite small and delicate.
Could be one of the variegated cultivars mentioned in the article.
I note that there is a minature version much used for indoor Bonsai.
However, the more I read (including bits about aerial roots) the more I
wonder.
I thnik I will post a photo or two.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder