Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What is eating my pea plants

Christina Websell wrote:
The peas in the garden are now flowering despite a dry and shady location.
Those down the allotment seem to have been defoliated apart from any
shoots that made it to 9" above ground level. Can anyone suggest a culprit
( guessing pigeons but we get those in the garden too) and how to protect
them ?

I'm having the same problem with the peas I've planted on the allotment, but
it cannot be pigeons in my case as they are netted against birds. They were
perfectly OK when I reared them here from seed but when I planted them out
on the lottie, something is chomping them.

Having looked at ours, there is definitely a lot more chomping on the mange
tout (all varieties) than the garden peas (all varieties). But the 'tall'
peas (Alderman + something else - meant to grow to 6', but they never seem
to .. but definitely a lot taller than the others!) seem to be a lot less
chomped.

Slugs with vertigo?