Old 22-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Coffee grounds to keep out cats?

Polar said:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:29:20 -0500, (Pat Kiewicz)
wrote:

OK, I was into cocoa mulch for quite a while, but somebody on this NG
turned me off it (my inference, not their instructions!) by suggesting
that it got clumpy over time & lost its beauty.

Pure cocoa mulch does get clumpy and even gooey under the top, which
is one reason why digging in it wouldn't appeal to cats...

Blended with leaves cocoashell don't get so clumpy. The resulting mulch
(especially when blended with coffeegrounds) is a slow fertilizer application, too.

any kind of mulch topped with ground-up citrus peels (needs to be topped off
more often than the cocoashell mulch mixes)

Aha! That sounds better than what I was trying, namely, scattering
bits of orange peel over the area. Will try the ground-up technique;
thanks a bunch. Seems like the grinding process (Cuisinart OK?) would
release more of the pungent oils.

Cuisinart is perfect!

--
Pat in Plymouth MI