Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspokenchaos View Post
I have a pond which has recently (the last week), become quite murky
and I can't see the fish. We had stringy type algae about 2 weeks
ago. I am fairly new to this pond. It has also rained a lot in the
past week. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
John Marta
The murkiness in your water is suspended algae. Depending on the mix of algae, the nutrient levels, the amount of sunlight that hits the water and the time of year, the water may look deep green, greenish-brown or brownish-black.

The problem of controlling suspended algae in fish ponds is probably raised more often than any other question. I am sure it will not surprise you to learn that a comprehensive answer would take up many pages. Let me offer some straightforward solutions.

Algae are plants, and they require three things to grow: water, light and nutrients (phosphorus, in particular). Because the water is a given, let us consider the other two factors.