Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dick Adams[_2_] Dick Adams[_2_] is offline

Default Dedicated Composting Pile versus Tossing Scraps Into the Garden

Damaeus wrote:

First of all, this is my first year doing any type of serious gardening.

Mine too. In the past, I've only grown Habenero peppers. This year it's
Habeneros, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Zuchine, and Rosemary.

That said
I was cutting the tops off strawberries this morning while thinking about
something I heard on a gardening show that plays on the radio here. A
lady called in, said she cut up banana peels into dime-sized pieces,
worked them into the soil around her roses, and the rose bushes took off
and made roses like crazy. So my question is: why can't I just take the
fresh strawberry scraps, chop them up a bit, then sprinkle them around the
tomatoes, the bell peppers, corn, and whatever else I have growing out
there? ...

How much stock can be put into this instant reaction rose bush scenario?

Are there any vegetables that thrive on peels or rinds?